A list of books, audiobooks, podcasts, television and more that I am consuming.
A list of achievements, articles, or plans in the shop to showcase my producing.
This series also maps my consumer habits, and how my time on Youtube and Instagram leads to shop projects and purchases, as well as influences my thoughts.
Reading :: Listening :: Watching
Wanting :: Getting :: Making
What I am Reading this Month:
The World Beyond your Head, Matthew Crawford
Sandman: Preludes & Nocturnes , Neil Gaiman
Enchantment, Guy Kawasaki
Article that had an impact:
Workism Is Making Americans Miserable, The Atlantic, By Derek Thompson
AT WORK, EXPERTISE IS FALLING OUT OF FAVOR, The Atlantic, By Jerry Useem
Magic Mushrooms: Magic Mushrooms May Be the Biggest Advance in Treating Depression Since Prozac, Newsweek, BY ADAM PIORE
Rethink Education (Logitech) with Dr. Andrew Huberman [ link ]
Seth Godin, The Secret to Better Decisions: Stop Hoarding Chips [ link ]
What I am listening to this month:
- Noise, Daniel Kahneman
- The Golden Compass, Philip Pullman
- How to Change your Mind, Michael Pollan
- Philosophy for Our Times:
- What it means to be human, Raymond Tallis
- Consciousness Beyond Time
- The Philosopher’s zone:
- About Time pt 1: Newton’s exploding clock
- The Partially Examined Life
- Hegel on Understanding
- Making Sense:
- 259: The Reckoning to Come, Balaji Srinivasan (too long, didn’t finish)
- Waking up:
- David Whyte, Anger
- The Paradox of Identity
- The Knowledge Project:
- episode 119: Todd Simkin, Making better decisions
- Members only: The Foods we should and should not eat
- Acid Horizon:
- Inner Experience: Bataille Contra Hegel
- Integral Principles of Flow
- Episode one: Hey
- Under the Skin (Russell Brand)
- Prepare for the Apocalypse! Bradley Garrett
- Hidden Brain
- Group Think
- Huberman Lab
- Understanding & Treating Addiction, Anna Lembke
- Robert Sapolsky: Science of Stress
- Rich Roll
- Anna Lembke, Neuroscience of Addiction
- Tom Bilyeu “Impact Theory”
- The Wallstreet Trapper
- Change Your BRAIN By Using These Hacks to Increase Your DOPAMINE | Dr. Andrew Huberman
- Daily Stoic
- Stephen Hanselman, I quit this one half way through… Ryan Holiday is just a bit too self-centered in this one.
- 50 Short Rules for Life (terrible audio quality)
- Tim Ferris
- Michael Dell
- Sheila Heen (Harvard Negotiation)
- Andrew Belle
- Lo-fi, Chill wave
- Lord Huron
What I am watching this month:
- Ted Lasso, of course
- Mythic Quest
- Jupiter’s Legacy
- Sweet Tooth (bleh)
- My Hero Academia
What I want:
Work Shop related research interests: A shop ceiling fan. But a bigass fan is about $3,700 and I just can’t wrap my head around that.
So, I am looking at a CNC machine to make my own blades, and then link three fans to one motor using belts. Then, as usual, I would have the tool and a new skill set instead of just a huge fan.
I have gone down quite the rabbit hole looking at CNC machines, leaning towards the Onefinity or Shapeoko 4.
Update: the Onefinity Woodworker is about 32″x32″ cutting capacity, but the new “Journeyman” has 48″x32″ capacity, but once you get that and all the upgrades, it is about $3,700. Ugh.
What I got:
Most of a shop:
Kapex Planex LHS 2
I split the cost with my sister, who wants to use it at their new house after getting a bid for $3,000 to scrape popcorn off their ceiling.
I will use it to do the drywall in the new shop, then do some interior home repair.
What I produced:
“Mondegreen” by Pete Hoffecker Mejia
A little joke/ wooden box for my contractor. Made from walnut and ash, I tried something a little different leaving the joints proud for a more rustic feel. Inside is $50 worth of quarters he gave me for selling my lawn mower.
I helped my wife install her art show in Houston.
Leave a Reply