A list of books, audiobooks, podcasts, and some television.
This also maps my consumer habits, and how my time on Youtube and Instagram leads to shop projects and purchases.
What I am Reading this Month:
- The Tyranny of Merit, Michael J. Sandel
- Shopclass as Soul Craft, Michael Crawford
- Breakdown of Will, George Ainslie
What I am listening to this month:
- Dune Messiah, Frank Herbert
- Sapiens, Yuval Noah Harari (great book)
- White Fragility, Robin DiAngelo
- The Madness of Crowds, Douglas Murray
- The Coddling of the American Mind, Jonathan Haidt & Greg Lukianoff
- Man’s Search for Meaning, Viktor Frankl (first time listen, read it years ago.)
- 1984, George Orwell (first time listen, haven’t read the book since high school)
- Brave New World, Aldous Huxley (first time listen, haven’t read the book since high school)
- Sam Harris “Welcome to the Cult Factory”
- Sam Harris “The New Religion of Anti-Racism“
- Sam Harris: “A Conversation with Graeme Wood“
- Philosophize this! “Bergson on Laughter” part 1
- Partially Examined Life “Ep. 251: Simone Weil’s Ideal Society” and “Ep. 250: Simone Weil on Human Needs“
- Partially Examined Life “Ep. 252: Habermas on Communication as Sociality”
- Partially Examined Life “Ep 253: Leibniz on the Problem of Evil”
- New York Times “Rabbit Hole” 9 episodes
- New York Times “1619: Ep. 5: The land of our fathers“
- Tribe of Mentors: “Naval Rivkant, Susan Cain, Yuval Noah Harari”
What I am watching this month:
- Dark, Netflix (maybe the best thing on TV right now.)
- The Social Delimma, Netflix (check out podcasts 15 and 16)
- Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Jerry Seinfeld, Netflix
- Children’s Hospital, Hulu
- The Boys, Amazon Prime
- Boys State, Apple TV
- Previously watched: The Watchmen, Hulu
What I am consuming
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (Xbox)… currently a level 55 Warrior build, about 100 hours in.
Cold Brew… my mom and sisters got me a uKeg for my birthday. I love their awful slogan:
A uKeg for every hour. Drink all day, with class.
Beer: Tupps Triple Dry-Hopped IPA #tdhipa (new release… more is not always better.)
What I want:
After youtube vids, I want a Veritas router plane, a Veritas shoulder plane, a Rob Cosman dovetail saw and marking knife.
Heating/AC for the shop.
Drill press that can handle decently thick lumber.
Festool Kapex Miter Saw (… this is just silly… )
What I built:
3 podcasts this month, which is a bit much.
2 Shooting Planes.
I didn’t build a ramped plane. One is 24″ long, one is 18″ long. (I’ll get some completed pics up soon.)
A prototype record box for an upcoming project.
I used the crappiest plywood from Lowe’s to make this prototype. My thought was if I can cut box joints on crappy plywood, then anything else would be a delight to work with.
Tool holding/display area.
A dedicated area for my planes, spoke shaves, chisels, and some mark-making and layout implements. Made of maple ply and maple trim. (This is incomplete, still going to make some additions to it.)