February- March 2021
A list of books, audiobooks, podcasts, television and more that I am consuming.
A list of achievements, articles, or plans in the shop to showcase my producing.
This series also maps my consumer habits, and how my time on Youtube and Instagram leads to shop projects and purchases, as well as influences my thoughts.
What I am Reading this Month:
What I am listening to this month:
- Thomas Kuhn, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions [link]
- Russell Brand: #174 The Horror of Brand Power (w Joel Bakan) [link]
- Russell Brand: #172, #173 Can’t get him out of my head (w Adam Curtis) [links]
- Russell Brand: Systems of the Damned (with Charles Eisenstein) [links]
- Radiolab: The Ceremony [link]
- Russell Brand: #171 Understanding Our Divided Realities (w Jonathan Haidt) [link]
- The Knowledge Project: Seth Godin [link]
- The Knowledge Project: Loch Kelly [link]
- Philosophy for our Times: Overcoming Individualism [link]
- Philosophy for our Times: Building the Future, Remembering the Past [link]
- Philosophy for Our Times: Compassion and Community [link]
- Free Thoughts: Did the New Deal End the Great Depression [link]
- Acid Horizon: PC Music, Accelerationism, and Xenofeminism [link]
- Acid Horizon: The Contactee Experience: UFO Phenomenon [link]
- Making Sense: Rebooting New York City (Andrew Yang) [link]
- Making Sense: The divided Mind (Ian McGilchrist) [link]
- Philosophize This! #150, #151 The Frankfurt School, Erich Fromm on Love [link]
- Tim Ferriss: Jordan Peterson [link]
- Two Philosophers Drink Beer & Discuss Film: American Psycho [link]
Article that had an impact:
Moira Weigel — Palantir Goes to the Frankfurt School [link]
The Atlantic, The Next Decade Could be Even Worse [link]
What I am watching this month:
- Schitt’s Creek, Netflix
- Utopia, Prime
- Wayne, Prime
- McGruber, Prime
- Space Sweepers, Netflix
- The Expanse, Prime
- bio hackers, Netflix
- Can’t get you out of my head. Adam Curtis (1 and 2)
- Shirin Nishat lecture, Ft Worth Modern
- I Care A Lot, Netflix
What I am consuming
Contrapoint: JK Rowling [link]
Contrapoints: Beauty [link]
Ze Frank: vday [link]
Sophie: Faceshopping [link]
Philosophy tube: Men. abuse. Trauma [link]
Philosophy Tube: Identity: A trans coming out story [link]
Jordan Peterson: The Red Queen Problem [link]
Conversations with Tom: Robert Greene [link]
Can’t Get You Out of My Head (2021) – Part 1: Bloodshed on Wolf Mountain [link]
Why the polarized reaction to Jordan Peterson [link]
Jet 12″ Jointer/Planer [link]
Stumpy Nubs: Tung Oil Lies [link]
Festool Jointing System [link]
Dovetail drawers with Leigh Jig [link]
End Grain Cutting Boards from Scrap Wood [link]
Hammer A3-26 Jointer Planer [link]
Clap your hands, say yeah
What I want:
From Forever ago: I want a Jointer/Planer combo, because I can’t seem to get my lumber completely flat with my old Rigid planer: lots of wobble and snipe. But those are about $4k, and I don’t have heating and AC or 220 in the shop yet.
February: It was a rough month in TX, after the freeze and loosing power, we moved into my office for 4 days. If anything, I should spend my money on a generator.
Also, I sold my Rigid 12″ Radial Arm Miter Saw for $300 to offset a tiny portion of the Festool Kapex saw.
What I got:
What I produced:
3 podcasts this month.
AND, the first interview based podcast (30) using SquadCast.
This is a new thing, which should take a little pressure off of having to read and produce so much content, but I am equally nervous about it. In theory, it will open up my audience as well to friends of the people on the podcast, and it gets to the deeper heart of actually having a community of like-minded peers.
To that end, I also set up a MEMBERSHIP payment gateway this month, which you know if you are reading this.
Truth (William James)
Pragmatism (with L)
What I built:
A bench, from Hard Maple, with a bit of walnut.