A list of books, audiobooks, podcasts, television, and more that I am consuming.
A list of achievements, articles, or plans in the shop to showcase my production.
This series also maps my consumer habits: my time on media can lead to more projects and purchases, as well as influences my thoughts.
Reading :: Listening :: Watching
Wanting :: Getting :: Making
What I am Reading this Month:
Articles that had an impact:
- Luke Burgis on “Transcending the Transactional“
- “Why we’re afraid of the heat, and how we can use heat to mitigate climate change” Christina Avampato #medium
- Geoff Schullberger, the scapegoating machine
- Salvage “the making of the evangelical anti-abortion movement” Anne Rumberger, july 1, 2022
- Antisemitism and the Aesthetic , Charles Blattberg
- Reification and the Consciousness of the Proletariat, Lukacs
- Graeme Wood, “The next decade could be even worse (peter turchin)”
- Phillip Goff, Panpsychism Is Crazy, but It’s Also Most Probably True
What I am listening to this month:
Arkady Martine, A Memory called Empire (recommended)
Jeff Vandermeer, Dead Astronauts (highly recommended)
- 498- The Octagon House
- The Commodity Screams — Adorno, Moten, and Marx
- From Capitalist Realism to Acid Communism — A Brief History of Mark Fisher’s Concepts
- Deleuzoguattarian Autopsy and the Body Without Organs
Ezra Klien Show
- Liberals Need a Clearer Vision of the Constitution. Here’s What It Could Look Like.
It could happen here
- City of Hate — The Fascist Attack on Dallas Pride
Made you think
78 — Seduced by Nihilism — The Revolt of the Public
Making Sense w Sam Harris
- #287 – Why Wealth Matters
Philosophy for Our Times
- Is rationality a delusion? | Sophie Archer, Timothy Williamson and Nina Power
- Lies we tell about religion | Slavoj Zizek, Rupert Sheldrake, Jennifer Ratner-Rosenhagen
- 167: Jose Ortega y Gassat (part2)
The Philosopher’s Zone
- The great and the good-enough
- Conspiracy theories, anti-Semitism and fun
The Art of Manliness
Building a Second Brain
The Knowledge Project
- #142 Marshall Goldsmith — The Essentials Of Leadership
Theory & Philosophy
- Karl Marx’s ”Capital” Vol. 3 (Part 2/10)
- Karl Marx’s Capital Vol. 3 (Part 1/10)
Therapist Uncensored Podcast
- Find Your Focus & Own Your Attention with Dr. Amishi Jha (178)
#606 — Balaji S. Srinivasan — The Network State and How to Start a New Country
Zizek and So On
- The Gaze
- Lord Huron
- Future Island
What I am watching this month:
- The Colony #netflix
- Everything, Everywhere, All at Once #Amazon (recommended)
- The Man from Toronto #netflix
- Hold the Dark #netflix
- Hell or Highwater #netflix
- The Gray Man #netflix
- The Sea Beast #netflix
- Terminal List #amazon
What I want:
- Leigh Dovetail Jig D42R
- Wera adjustable wrenches
- Woodpecker Thin Rip Guide
- Sony a6400 (my company wants the company camera back, a Sony a 7 II, so I need to replace it for streaming/video/photo work.)
What I got:
- A new septic system!
- Woodpecker Slab Flattening Mill Pro
- Woodpecker auto-line drill guide
- Triton Spindle + Belt Sander
- ArborTech grinding bits (a bit of a splurge)
- Waterpik Ion Water flosser
- Lee Valley dovetail saw (on sale)
- Magswitch featherboard (for planer and tablesaw)
- I was gifted a fridge for the shop… it is now full of beer.
- a new set of hole saws… I totally killed my other set.
- A centrotec bit for my festool drill gun… not sure it was a good purchase.
Also… I started using Matter in addition to Instapaper and Readwise
And for podcasts I am now using Snipd
What I produced:
fixed my stool, turned it into a wonky art piece.
Started a few new pieces based on shields and sports balls I find on my daily walks.
Made a “brick” style table top from remnants of cherry wood
Made a window, put gas struts on it
Installed my new Shop A/C. And my wife’s, but I have to re-charge hers: The refrigerant leaked out.
Made a set of cleat holders for my Wera Joker wrenches
My internet in the office went out… I thought it was the router, but it was the cable, which is buried underground.
Other Life Events
Sue Anne had her birthday party.
I am now on anti-depressants.
Belly Button Lint
I have also kept up with my daily posts to my naval gazing blog.
Please sign up if you want daily insights sent to your inbox.