A list of books, audiobooks, podcasts, television and more that I am consuming.
A list of achievements, articles, or plans in the shop to showcase my producing.
This series also maps my consumer habits, and how my time on Youtube and Instagram leads to shop projects and purchases, as well as influences my thoughts.
What I am Reading this Month:
What I am listening to this month:
- Philosophy for Our Times: A Philosopher’s Guide to being Happy, Davide Pearce
- Philosophy for our times: Spirituality for the Non-religious
- Philosophy for our times: The Philosophy of Who We Are
- Philosophy for our times: Humans and Other Animals
- Philosophy for our times: The World Beyond what we see
- The Philosopher’s zone: Analytic philosophy: the leading brand
- The Philosopher’s Zone: The Death of Analytic Philosophy
- The Philosopher’s Zone: Black Marxism pt 2
- The Philosopher’s Zone: Marxism pt 1: Marx the philosopher
- The Art of Manliness: Why do we want what we want?
- The Art of Manliness: How to use digital body language
- Hidden Brain: What are the odds?
- Hidden Brain: The Power of Mercy
- Philosophy This: Episode #154 … Pragmatism and Truth
- Making Sense: #252 – ARE WE ALONE IN THE UNIVERSE?
- Making Sense: #253 – CORPORATE COURAGE
- Hi-Phi Nation: S4, Episode 1: Criminal Minds
- Hi-Phi Nation: S4, Episode 2: Police Discretion
- Hi-Phi Nation: S4, Episode 3: The Informant
- Buddies without Organs: Episode #01: Body Without Organs
- Buddies without Organs: Episode #02: Plane of Immanence
- Daily Stoic: Malcolm Gladwell on Running, Writing, and Storytelling
- Under the Skin: Compassionate Leadership Jocko Willink
- Under the Skin: Crypto Crime
- The Knowledge Project: Adam Grant: Rethinking Your Position
- The Knowledge Project: Sarah Tavel: The Value of Intellectual Rigor ~ (highly recommend)
- The Knowledge Project: Noreena Hertz: The Crisis of Loneliness
- Acid Horizon: What is an Apparatus? Agamben’s Conceptual Analysis of ‘Dispositif’
- Acid Horizon: Inner Experience: Psychoanalysis, Schizoanalysis, and Dreams
- Acid Horizon: The Case for a Materialist Spirituality : A Conversation with Graham Jones of Red Enlightenment
- Smart Passive Income Online: Inside the Start of an online community
Article that had an impact:
The Failure of the Capitalist Logic Against COVID-19: An Interview With Noam Chomsky
The Hedonistic Imperative , David Pearce (I didn’t finish this, but I like the idea and listened to a podcast interview with him, see above)
Simulation Theory by Nick Bostram
Passive income / Retirement
If American only make median $38,000/ year, and if you invest $10k per year it takes 38 years at 3.5% growth to make enough money to generate a “passive” return $40k per year. (That is roughly 25% of income into investments.)
You have to squirrel away $1,143,000 @ 3.5% interest to reach the $40k/year passive income.
During that time you are only left living on $28k per year, but we haven’t even factored in taxes yet. And, of course, that math involves investing it in returnable assets.If you just save $ in the bank, it will take longer at lower interest rates.
Either way, it isn’t really passive income… That’s retirement planning.
Passive income is investments and living off the dividends. Scalable income is mostly what people discuss. Beyond setting up a passive income nest egg people want more exponential monetary growth without more labor.
Investment Math from a side hustle
50 weeks, 5 days = 250 days @ $500 per day = $125,000 (a really good job)
50 weeks, 5 days = $100/day = $25,000 (a bad job or side hustle)
To make roughly the same “passive income” nest egg amount ($1,150,000) by investing your $25,000 per year (at 3.5% interest) from your side hustle it will take 27 years. At 7% interest that is $2,000,000.
What can you do everyday worth 100$?
What I am watching this month:
- Clarkson Farms (Prime)
- A glitch in the matrix (Prime)
- 1000 words (Eddie Murphy)
- Encounters of the fifth kind
What I am consuming online
Not so much… Mostly videos on Festool Carvex and Elementor (wordpress) design options.
I’m also always interested in the demonization of Jordan Peterson. There is something vital there to the understanding of the divide.
Also, a couple videos on self-installing a mini-split HVAC. ugh.
- Lords of Huron
- Twin Shadow
- Rostam (changephobia)
- Gang of Four
- Damien Jurado (The monster who hated pennsylvania)
- Perfume Genius
- Rubber (Yuck)
- Glass Animals
- Alina Baraz & Galimatias – Unfold
What I want:
A new 1,200 sf shop in the backyard… same as the last 13 years… but we seem to be getting closer. Lots of slow-downs: the permitting office is now requiring absolutely everything have engineered plans.
And… during the wait the price of the concrete has gone up and shop has gone up about $6,000. That is about a 10% increase on the cost of the whole project to give context. Of course we want to keep quality without increasing the price. Which seems unlikely at this point.
A new thing I now think I can’t live without:
What I got:
My wife detailed my truck this month, and I had to take it in for collision repair (a lady hit me and then lied to the insurance company about it… ugh). I also turned over 100k miles, so had a lot of small fluid things to take care of as well as needing the lower-control arms replaced… all in about $1,600.
So, no new tools, just maintenance… sort of… I did get that Bosch sawzall.
Also, lost my Persol shades, so I got some of these Ray Ban’s that can see your face when your phone goes for facial recognition. Super cool.
What I produced:
2 podcasts this month.
What I built:
I am in the midst of an art project for Glasstire, where they mailed me 3 objects, from which I try to make art. Ryder Richards 2021