December- January 2021
A list of books, audiobooks, podcasts, television and more that I am consuming.
A list of achievements, articles, or plans in the shop to showcase my producing.
This series also maps my consumer habits, and how my time on Youtube and Instagram leads to shop projects and purchases, as well as influences my thoughts.
What I am Reading this Month:
- Moral Mazes: the World of Corporate Managers, Robert Jackall
- Roadside Picnic, Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
What I am listening to this month:
- The Last Exodus [link] (Review: Meh…)
- The Craving Mind (Review: Worth a listen)
- Russel Brand: “The War for your Consciousness (Tristan Harris)” [link]
- The Political Orphanage: “Machiavelli v Jon Stewart Mill” [link]
- The Knowledge Project: Kris Cordle” [link]
- The Art of Manliness: Change is a Rest [link]
- Philosophy for our Times: Free Will Worth Wanting [link]
- Philosophy for our Times: Overwhelmed by Choice [link]
- Free Thoughts: America’s Revolutionary Mind [link]
- Making Sense: Doing Good [link]
- Pop & Locke: Blade Runner [link]
- Pop & Locke: Starship Troopers [link]
- Team Human: James Lovelock: We humans are a good thing. [link]
- Trevor Noah: The Tax Man Cometh [link]
- The Partially Examined Life: #258 Locke on Acquiring Simple Ideas [link]
What I am watching this month:
- The Regular Show, Hulu
- Adventure Time, Hulu
- Schitt’s Creek, Netflix
What I am consuming
The Living philosophy: The Destroyer Archetype [link]
Jung on Synchronicity [link]
Eternalized Philosophy: Lovecraftian Cosmicism | Existentialism, Absurdism and Nihilism [link]
Always be Closing [link]
Russell brand – Matthew McConaughey [link]
Russel Brand: The books that made me [link]
Jordan Peterson: Jung [link]
ContraPoints: Jordan Peterson
ContraPoints: voting [link]
Jordan Peterson: Cathy Newman [link]
Joe Rogan: Jordan Peterson [link]
Russel Brand: Jordan Peterson [link]
Tim Ferris: Journaling [link]
Ryan Holiday: Daily Stoic: Journal like a Pro [link]
TedX: How to not take things personally [link]
Philosophy Tube: Amy Coney Barrett [link]
Bill Callahan & Bonnie Prince Billy [link]
(Adobe XD & Ai) [link] and [link]
After Effects: Logo Animations [link]
How to get IG FOLLOWERS [link]
Wood and Shop: High end backsaws [link] [link]
Stumpy Nubs : Sliding Drill Press Table [link]
Tenon cutting [link] [link] [link]
Brace Bits [link][link]
Woodpecker Drill Press Table [link]
Making a large dowel without a Lathe [link]
Foals: Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost part 2
Radiohead: In Rainbows
Thom Yorke: Anima
What I want:
From November: I still want a dovetail saw and marking knife, but I got lost in the world of tenon cutters.
December: I want some different sized tapered tenon cutters, and normal tenon cutters, because I am trying to build a stool and don’t have the tools necessary. Oh, and a Reamer for the tapered tenon cutter.
I took a look at more hand saws, and actually ordered a Florip back saw, but seeing the long back-order date, canceled the order on the saw. Might end up going with a really expensive Rob Cosman saw.
For the shop, based on “Anarchists Design” Chris Schwarz [link] I ordered a Lee Valley: tapered tenon cutter, reamer (5/8″) [link]
Reamer is back-ordered due to covid/trade tariffs with steel or something , as is a “Tenon Power Cutter”
Wade Garrett: bit brace. [link]
The Bit Brace is divine. So powerful, smooth and easy. Squeeee! I’ve wanted one of these for a while.
Owl Auger bits
McKinney Hardwoods: Michael was out of ash, so I bought some Hard Maple to build some benches/stools. First, I am using Pine to see what happens… a shop-test. hand planed the legs, used a cross-cut jig to carve out the tenons on the tablesaw.
A T-Shirt from the “Making Sense” Store
Oh, I also went on a “productivity kick” and purchased the Evernote app, as well as subscribing to Medium and Luminary podcasts.
Bridge City Toolworks:
Block Plane [link]
Honing Guide [link]
Lee Valley: mini plane, mini router plane, mini-skew plane (so cute!) [link]
I am so happy with these gifts.
What I produced:
I rebranded the podcast this month after a conversation with a good friend and marketer. That was some work. ugh.
4 podcasts this month.
What I built:
Nothing really. I am half way through with a couple things, but got jammed up with tools on backorder.
Leave a Reply