January – February 2021
A list of books, audiobooks, podcasts, television and more that I am consuming.
A list of achievements, articles, or plans in the shop to showcase my producing.
This series also maps my consumer habits, and how my time on Youtube and Instagram leads to shop projects and purchases, as well as influences my thoughts.
What I am Reading this Month:
What I am listening to this month:
- Russell Brand: #49 Yuval Noah Harari [link]
- Russell Brand: #167 Crossing Boundaries and Reclaiming Land (with Nick Hayes) [link]
- The Knowledge Project: Sendhil Mullainathan [link]
- The Knowledge Project: Loch Kelly [link]
- The Knowledge Project: Jane McGonigal, The Psychology of Gaming [link]
- Philosophy for our Times: Overcoming Individualism [link]
- Philosophy for our Times: Overwhelmed by Choice [link]
- Free Thoughts: Trust in a Polarized Age [link]
- Free Thoughts: The 2020 Election & the capital [link]
- Free Thoughts: How Technology is Changing Education [link]
- Free Thoughts: Open Societies & Human Progress [link]
- Free Thoughts: The Story of Money [link]
- Making Sense: Inequality & Revolution [link]
- Making Sense: An Insurrection of Lies [link]
- Making Sense: The Divided Mind [link]
- NPR: The Anatomy of Autocracy: Timothy Snyder [link]
- Love + Radio: Glynn Washington [link]
- Good Thoughts, Dr. Gary Epler and Joan Epler #2 [link]
- Philosophize This! #84 William James on Truth [link]
- Philosophize This! #148 … On Media pt. 1, and #149 … On Media pt. 2 [link]
- The Partially Examined Life: #20 William James [link]
- The Partially Examined Life: Ep 260 Locke on Moral Psychology [link]
- Canary: White Nationalism and The Landscape of Ideology [link]
- Hidden Brain: Our Brands, Our Selves [link]
- Hidden Brain: The Double Standard [link]
- Impact Theory: Psychotherapist on how to avoid Pitfalls [link]
- Impact Theory: Billionaire David Rubenstein on Truly becoming the one in control [link]
- Daily Stoic: #18 Cal Newport on the Art of Time [link]
- Daily Stoic: Economist Emily Oster [link]
- Daily Stoic: Jay Shetty [link]
- Tim Ferris: #487 Dr. Martine Rothblatt [link]
- Rune Soup: UFO’s Religion and Technology, Dr. Diana Pasulka [link]
Article that had an impact:
The Dispatch: Where does the South End and Christianity Begin?
What I am watching this month:
- The Regular Show, Hulu
- Adventure Time, Hulu
- Schitt’s Creek, Netflix
- Homefront, Netflix
- The Expanse, Prime
- Death to 2020, Netflix
- Patton Oswald, Netflix
- The Fifth Element, Prime
- Star trek, Prime
- Live free or die hard, Prime
What I am consuming
Contrapoint: JK Rowling [link]
Hayek’s “The Road to Serfdom” [link]
Philosophy Tube: Men, Abuse, and Trauma [link]
Intro to the Philosophy of Math [link]
In Session: Nick Cave, Shaun Leonardo, Steve Locke, Xaviera Simmons, M. Carmen Lane, Dr. Kalima Young[link]
Are you Addicted to Thinking : Allan Watts [link]
Why the Polarized Reaction to Jordan Peterson [link]
Lovecraftian Cosmicism [link]
Adobe Dimension Tutorials
Clap your hands
Kings of Leon
The hold steady
Broken Social Scene
What I want:
From Forever ago: I still want a dovetail saw and marking knife, but I tend to get lost in more practical things. I now want a Jointer/Planer combo, because I can’t seem to get my lumber completely flat with my old Rigid planer: lots of wobble and snipe. But those are about $4k, and I don’t have heating and AC or 220 in the shop yet.
January: I got in the reamer and tenon cutters I ordered in December, so I finished some projects. (see below) I have another really nice piece under way.
What I got:
Then about 7 days ago I broke my bed. I started thinking about that and this other project I am in the middle of, plus my company bonus… Then I went crazy and bought a Festool KAPEX and OF 1400 Router.
My old Rigid miter saw was so bad I just quit using it. Seriously. I might have used it 10 times in the last 6 months, then I go clean up the cuts by hand or on the tablesaw. For the router: since I set up my Bosch router in the table, I just never take it out, hence I avoid any plunge routing or hand routing.
These are super lame excuses, when I all really wanted was some new toys.
What I produced:
4 podcasts this month.
AND, I figured out how to get my podcast videos turned into snippets that are fed through Facebook Creator, and then published to both IG and FB.
[instagram-feed num=8 cols=4 showfollow=false]
This is that horrible marketing stuff that I am supposed to be doing, but I totally upped my game with better graphics and more compelling videos. There is a point to all of this: to ever sale my book, I need followers and fans.
Addicted to Thinking
Moral Mazes pt 1
Moral Mazes pt 2
What I built:
A saw bench and a stool.
After planing the original lumber, all of this was done by hand, except the hole drilling.